A nutrition plan for your child’s individual needsThere are many reasons why a child with special needs may struggle more with health issues.
At Essential Balance, we can help you overcome these barriers and help your child achieve their full health potential.
Every child is unique. Get a nutrition plan customized to your child.
Barriers to Nutrition
- There may be physical barriers, such as a physical disability that restricts movements.
- Low abdominal muscle tone can hinder digestion and cause constipation.
- Delayed fine and gross motor skills can make feeding itself difficult, limiting food choices.
- Sensory issues can also be a factor, causing extreme pickiness. Certain textures, flavours, and temperatures may be off-putting to your child.
- Finally, one of the biggest barriers to health is communication. One of the most common recommendations for parents is to educate their children and involve them in meal planning and preparation This is a great way to encourage your child to eat healthier. However, involving your child in meal preparation isn’t that easy if they do not communicate in the same ways as you.
What We Will Do
- Evaluate your child’s current dietary intake, as well as any current health concerns.
- Formulate a specialized nutrition plan that considers your child’s individual needs.
- Help you implement the plan at a pace that is comfortable for both you and your child.
- Work with occupational therapists or feeding specialists to come up with strategies for combining nutrition with fine and gross motor skill development. (e.g. preparing foods in way that encourages pincer grasp development), as appropriate.
As a parent of a child on the autism spectrum, Kirsten Colella has faced many of these barriers with her own daughter. However, she also seen first-hand how dietary changes can positively impact a child’s life and help their development.